Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Piercings and Tattoos

My parents had a rule: You can get your ears pierced when you are 12 or older. So for my 12th birthday, my mom took my and my friend Kyla to the mall and I got my ears pierced. My Dad back then said if we ever got anything else pierced we would have to wait until we were 18 because he wouldn't allow it.

Shortly after that, my sister Jen got her ears pierced so she had 3 holes in each ear and I thought it was so cool. I decided it would be a good idea to pierce my own ears with a 2nd hole. So I did. I used a regular needle (no ice, no anisthetic) to make a small hole and then I pushed a regular earring through. I think I had those in for 1 night and then I got scared I'd get in trouble so I took them out.

But I reeeeeally wanted 2 holes! So I pierced them. Again. Same thing, needle, push the earring through with no ice or anything. I wore them this time for 1 whole day at school, but I showed Holly what I did and she threatened to tell my mom so again I got scared and took them out. (This is the first my mom is hearing about this. Sorry Mom.) Holly was a really good kid. She told me when I got home and showed her that I took them out that she wouldn't have really told on me, but she was such a rule follower (who am I kidding...so was I) that I really thought she was going to.

When I was in 7th grade a big group of girls at my middle school pierced their own belly buttons. (What's with all the self piercing going on? I'm not really sure about that.) I made a feeble attempt to do it too, but failed. There wasn't even a mark on my stomach. I don't think I tried very hard. All the girls got in trouble at school (a parent complained about the group being a bad influence on her daughter to the principal) but luckily none of my friends told anyone that I had also been in on this. Thanks, friends.

For my 20th birthday a friend and I went to the Telluride Bluegrass Festival (which is awesome. Go if you ever have a chance. That year Counting Crows were the headliners and they played a straight bluegrass set. I fell in love with the Avett Brothers and got to see Chris Thile perform by himself. Yes I'm bragging. I know you're jealous.) On the way back to Denver one of the tires on our car tried to explode. We noticed (luckily) before it did, but while the car was at the shop in Glenwood Springs we had an hour to kill and so I got my nose pierced. I had always wanted to get it done so... I did it.

No tattoos. I doubt I'll ever convince Hondo to let me get one either. Shoulda done it when I was young and rebellious.


 If you haven't had the chance to check out my sisters' blogs, they are also doing this challenge. You can find Jen's here, Stef's here, and Holly's here.

No comments:

Post a Comment