Monday, June 4, 2012

Injury

When I was 3, I decided that I needed to get a drink of water all by myself. So I climbed up on the counter in the kitchen, got a small plastic cup out of the cupboard, and walked down the hall to the bathroom. I then climbed up on the toilet lid and leaned over to fill my cup. As I stood up, I lost my balance and fell backwards, hitting my head on the edge of the tub. Back then, we had a bathtub with sliding doors so there were metal runners on the edge, which is what I hit my head on.


I actually don't remember this all in great detail. What I do remember is looking up at my mom when she ran in the bathroom. I have one picture, a photo memory of that one moment of seeing her face looking down at me as I was wedged between the bathtub and the toilet.


I ended up needing stitches. Five, I think. This is the one and only time in my life I've needed stitches, which is impressive considering other injuries I've sustained (i.e. getting hit by a car.) With as clumsy and accident prone as I am, it is surprising. What isn't surprising is that my earliest memory as a child revolves around me being stubborn, independent, and injured.

Also, watch this because it's funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment