Monday, June 25, 2012

IMY

I have been this tired quite a few times in my life, but none have been so brutal as when Monroe was a newborn and she never slept at night. EVER.

The first few weeks of Mo's life were unique, I know, because of the damn jaundice that refused to go away that had my Mom and me taking all night shifts to stay up and watch her sleep in the stupid at home suitcase and make sure she wasn't too cold, or that she wouldn't fall out and try to keep her (and myself) from crying the entire night. It was miserable and part of the reason I never, ever want another newborn!

Right after she was born when we were in the hospital, my doctor and the nurses suggested multiple times that we let the baby sleep in the nursery so we could get some rest. I, of course, disregarded this advice. I wanted her with me! But literally months later, when she would be up for hours and I was exhausted, I remember thinking to myself, "I should've just sent her to the nursery and slept." Right, Lis, because the extra few hours you may or may not have gotten in the hospital would make you not as tired now. Not really logical, but when you're that tired, nothing really is.

If you have a baby, or are planning on having a baby, I would recommend buying The Miracle Blanket. It was truly a miracle...Mo started sleeping longer and longer when we used it at night, first 5 or 6 hours, then 7, then 8, then 9! I loved my life. Uniteruppted sleep never felt so good.

So, I am not complaining about not getting sleep anymore. She has bad night occasionally, but one every once in awhile is cake compared to every night.

What I do miss is sleeping in. This kid...no matter what time she goes to bed, or how much she is up at night, will not sleep in. She's up around 7-7:30 every day, and on those days when I actually might be able to sleep a little longer, she's up at 6.

I can't wait til she's a teenager so we can all sleep til 11 and not feel bad about it.

PS. I'm late writing this post (and the next few) because I was stuck on this one for awhile...there are many things I miss, but there is one thing I miss that I do not want to admit. Maybe some day when I'm feeling brave, I'll do a bonus post about what I really miss. For now, this will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment