Friday, September 7, 2012

And That is How the Superheroes Do It!

Back in the day when I was a camp counselor we had this one kid who drove everyone crazy. Okay, a lot of kids drove everyone crazy but this kid was a bit worse. Just a really high maintenance, annoying, always getting in trouble/never listening 6-year-old who was a bit chubby. I'll call him "M."

Every week as a camp we would go to the Rec Center to swim, play in the gym, and go rock climbing on their indoor wall. Some of the kids were brave little monkeys and they would climb the wall to the top in 2 minutes like it was no big deal. So this kid, M, wanted to go rock climbing. He had never done it before but his friends were doing it too so obviously he had to do it. A lot of the younger kids would try it and not get very high before they'd get scared and we'd lower them back down.

M got in the harness and got roped in by one of the workers at the rec center. He was afraid to grab onto the wall, so the person belaying him lifted him about 12 inches off the ground and had him put his feet and hands on a few of the holds. We were able to coax him to lift one foot up one hold and one hand up one hold before he freaked out, "I want down! I want down!" So the belayer walked over and set him back on the ground. (He was still only about 12 inches off the ground, mind you.)

He walked over to me and as I was helping him take off the harness he said, "And that is how the superheroes do it."

I died. Laughing, that is. After he left.


In real life, I have no desire to be a superhero. There are many things I want to be, but I think I've been jaded by superhero movies too much to actual crave that lifestyle. It seems like in the movies the superheroes always have so much to give and also so much they have to give up in order to lead the life of saving the world.

But if I was going to be a superhero my super power would be psychic powers. Like real ones. I think it would be cool. And my name would be "Raven."

Hahahahaha

Ok but really I think I would like super strength without the ridiculous muscles. I'd like to be named after one of the Greek Godesses, like Aphrodite or Athena.

No comments:

Post a Comment