Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A Proposal, A List, Some Cheese, and a Birthday

It's Hondo's birthday!

And as such, I feel it is time for a list.

First, small anecdote.

Once when Hondo and I were engaged, someone asked me, point blank, "Why do you love him?"

I was caught off guard. I didn't expect anyone else to really care that much about my actual reasons for loving him, just maybe about the fact that I did (and do.) I thought it was a strange question to ask. I mean, it's fine to ask. Sure, maybe you just want to hear...about...how we love each other...or something... (I actually don't really understand why anyone would ask this question, but that is okay, I don't have to understand everything.)

Second, I was like "This is a test and I'm about to fail." I don't think I've ever had to explain why I love Hondo to anyone before or since this, and even though I'm sure it was not the intent of the question, I felt cornered a bit.

So my answer came out in some generic form of, "Well, we fit together. It just makes sense." Which is perfectly reasonable.

But today, in honor of Hondo's birthday, here is a list of things that when added together, make up the reasons that I love him. Which I do.

Most passionately.

1. He is obsessed with turkey. Most people think turkey is a thanksgiving thing, but not at our house. It is at least a quarterly thing, if not every other month.

2. When he gets mad and says something (usually me) is "frustrating," he actually says "fustrating." It's all I can do to not laugh at how cute it is.

3. He sings slightly off key. Mo laughs every time he sings, and I think it is because it makes her so happy. Me too, Mo. Me too.

4. He calls a group of men "cats" and often refers to girls as "kid." Very Casablanca.

5. He swears like a sailor while driving and exercising (not at the same time). I shouldn't laugh, but I do.

6. He gets a little handsy when he takes sleeping pills/cough medicine.

7. He stresses all the time about the kind of Dad he is going to be for Mo as she gets older. Which I think proves that he is going to be a great one.

8. He gave me Monroe.

9. He supports me in every decision that I make and wants nothing more than for me to be happy.

10. He loves celebrity gossip.

11. He loves talking politics. Which is great, since I do too. Luckily we agree on (most) things.

12. He loves and looks after my family.

13. When he talks about exercising, he refers to it as "Bringing sexy back."

14. He's the only person I know who calls "sherbet" "sherbet ice cream." Most people say either "sherbet" or "ice cream," but to him it's both.

15. He listens to me well enough that even if I'm having a conversation with someone else and I say something, he'll respond and that reponse will be completely out of context and irrelevant to the conversation. It's quite funny.

16. He thinks it's funny that I'm competative. Which is a good thing, especially when we're on the same team.

Of course, there are more but i'm at work and out of time. "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways..."

I love you, Hondo. I love you for the man that you are and the man that you are going to be as we grow old together. I couldn't have picked a better partner to navigate through life with. Marry me!

And Happy Birthday!

1 comment: