Friday, May 16, 2014

How Have You Changed in the Last 2 Years?

I feel like I've changed more in the past 3 years of being married than I have in any other 3 years of my life. I feel that way, even though it's probably not true. 

Changes come so gradually that I feel like it's hard to pinpoint exactly how things have changed, but there are some big changes that I feel like are noticeable. At least to me.

I've been feeling really negative about myself lately so some of the changes I know about are because I wish they are things that hadn't changed and I would to go back to the way I was before, or actually a more improved version of what I was before. Am I even making sense?

Things that have changed (that I wish hadn't)

My weight
My style
My ability to be funny
My relationships with my friends (see previous post...)

Things I'm doing to fix these things

1. I have lost 13 pounds since February. This is nowhere near my overall goal, but I'm trying. I did a few weeks of a program called Take Shape for Life and that really got the weight loss started but it wasn't a great sustainable program for me because I struggled a lot with a lack of variety. So now I'm using MyFitnessPal to track calories and I'm using Runkeeper to do a 5k training program. I would really like to do yoga again, because it's one of my favorite exercises.
2. My style issues really are directly related to #1. I've been boycotting purchasing new clothes because I don't want to accept that this is the size that I am. I have all my old clothes, both pre-pregnancy Mara and pre-pregnancy Mo. I don't want to throw out all of my "skinny" clothes because I hope to get back to that point at some point in my life, hopefully sooner than later. I'm close to breaking though and just buying new stuff. The difficult thing is...and I realize this is a bit ridiculous...I don't know how to dress this body to make it look/feel good. I've never been this size and even though I know there are lots of options for all shapes and sizes, I just don't know how to do it.  But I do try to dress relatively nicely for work, which is a little helpful.
3. I think this has to do partly with my change from being single/childless to being married/mother. I am in no way blaming my amazing children or my fantastic husband. This is alllll me. It's hard for me to balance being a wife/mother with being my own person. This year (as in calendar year 2014) I have done a few things to try and improve myself to help me feel like a unique individual. Holly and I took an adult swim class earlier this year because neither of us had ever learned how to swim. Like pretty much at all. The class was twice a week for 8 weeks and it was really great. We only really got to learn one style of swimming but I really learned a lot and it felt so good to take a class and learn something new. Bonus: I may have a better shot at surviving the apocalypse!
4. This one is kind of tough. It is pretty hard to stay close with friends who are different points in their lives, meaning mostly that I have kids and they don't. This is something that as a couple Hondo and I have had a difficult time with since living in Utah. Lately we've really been thinking we should move to Salt Lake because it is so much less of a bubble than the Provo/Orem area. Orem is a great place to live but we haven't found our niche here. We are trying though. I've been trying to make some new friends to add to the old. 

I'm blessed in many ways. My relationships with my siblings are still strong and they truly are the best friends that I have. I'm pretty healthy overall minus the weight issue, which I'm working on. My girls are my world and I just want to spend all the days with them that I possibly can. Hondo and I are going strong and are looking forward to our trip to Ireland in a few weeks. Things are good and the past two  years have been full of trials and blessings but I wouldn't really change my life if I had the chance. If I work hard I can change those few things that I'm not happy with.


1 comment:

  1. Change is a challenge for all of us. You are doing well - just keep it up.

    ReplyDelete