Sunday, December 16, 2018

Ice Skating

It’s been awhile. But my girls did something yesterday that made me so happy that I wanted to write it down somewhere.

Mo is 7 and Mara is 5. They are the best of friends, and there are many ways that they are similar, but also many ways in which they are different. When it comes to trying new things, they are very different. Mo tends to be more willing and excited to take the leap and take a risk. Mara is much more calculating in all of her actions. She always has been, even when she was learning to walk she was so deliberate in each step and each attempt. Trying new things is hard for me, so I understand and sympathize with her.

Well since it is Christmas and winter and we adults are trying to feel the same magic that our children feel every holiday season, we decided to take the girls ice skating yesterday. I think the last time I went ice skating was in high school, and Hondo is pretty sure he has never been. The girls had never been either but Mo did write an assignment at school where she said that she wants to be an ice skater when she grows up. I figured it was time to give it a go.

In the car on our way there we told them that we were going to go ice skating today. And immediately Mara says, “I don’t want to go. I’m too scared!” 

So I’m driving and Hondo is in the passenger seat and before either of us can even say anything we hear Mo jump in and say “Just hold my hand. Squeeze it! Just keep squeezing and you’ll be okay.” 

I can’t even explain how amazing it is to be the mom of these two truly wonderful girls.

Ice skating was fun, even though it still took some convincing for Mara. But we all did it and practiced being brave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment